16 February 2013

Cambodian Kids Behind Bars (6) Lina's Story- Clothing



Lina is a Cambodian woman doing a 16-year prison stretch for a crime she claims she did not commit. She has a young daughter, Maly, who spent time in jail with her.

She shares her small cell with as many as 25 prisoners and their children at a time.


Food and water supplies are scant and often make the prisoners sick.

Lina continues:


"Since I first arrived here, more than four years ago, I have only ever been given one set of prison uniforms. 

Yesterday I wore my prison clothes and today I am washing them so now I am wearing these pajamas. I do a lot of cooking for other prisoners for no money, I only ask for a little white rice, so when prisoners are released, sometimes they leave me their clothes, like these pajamas."

~http://www.licadhocambodia.org/reports/files/116LICADHOReportPrisonMotherChild07.pdf

Cambodian prisoners receive nothing in the way of clothing or hygiene supplies; they are wholly reliant upon family or other prisoners for such things.

Children serving time behind bars with a parent receive nothing from the state, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment