23 October 2009

Champei: A Cambodian Child


Champei's* mother is mentally ill. Her father has long-abandoned the family.

Champei's oldest sister works in a rural brothel to support the family.

Everyday the sister took Champei to work where she roamed largely unsupervised. Some of the men who visited the brothel began to take an interest in Champei.

Indentified by a local agency as 'at risk,' Champei was removed from her environment and taken to a shelter. Another of her sisters-Mealea* is here; a bright young woman who is excelling in her studies and the art of traditional Cambodian dance.

Champei is happy in her new home, too. She is 6 years old.

*For obvious reasons names have been changed.

1 comment:

  1. Thank God someone had rescued the little girl. I actually am concerned about the children in Cambodia but there's nothing I can do yet. Wish me wealth, so I can fly to Cambodia, to provide whatever is needed there. Wish me wealth.

    ReplyDelete