25 January 2011

Cambodian Calling

Blogspot blocked, then unblocked and then blocked again. Blocked this time for more than 3 days but, it seems, only by my ISP.

So its time to call Metfone's helpline to see what the problem is.

The call is answered in just a few seconds though and the operator says 'of course!' when I ask if he speaks English.

I explain the problem and it takes some time; he's never heard of blogspot. Nevermind that the issue of blogspot being blocked by internet companies such as the one he is manning the help-phones for has been front page news. And nevermind that it has been reported that many bloggers have rung to complain- he has no idea about blogspot.

He promises to look in to the problem and report back. Of course he never does.

So I call again a day later. The help-line fellow has never heard of blogspot.com. I spell it out slowly for him. He notes down the details and spells the address back to me: 'B L O G S P O R T. C O M.'

"NO, no," "B L O G S P OT. C O M, " I spell slowly.

This time he's got it he says,' "B L O G S P O R T. C O M"

We do the BLOGSPOT- BLOGSPORT spelling bee for a while and finally he really does get it. Having done so he promises to look into the problem and call me back.

Of course he never does.

On the third call the operator is aware of the problem and he promises to look into the problem and call me back.

Of course he never does. But today, miraculously, blogsport.com blogspot is up and running again.

To be fair though this experience probably isn't far different from the 'help' one receives from helplines in developed countries, and I didn't have to wait minutes for the call to be answered, nor was I met by an automated answering machine.

1 comment:

  1. ugh were using the same service. I have some blogs on blogspot too so when it was blocked, I called a few times. No one 'got' what my problem is till I got sufficiently irritated I went to one of their offices.

    The office staff just stared jadedly at me while I explained then he promised to look into it.

    Then the next day, blogspot is back.

    All I could say now is... uh oh?! Only in Cambodia?

    ReplyDelete