29 May 2011

When You Are the Last to Know

At our Thai schools boys often came in with their heads shaved. The shaving was so that they could become a monk, an important rite of passage for teenage Thai boys.

So when one of my young Cambodian learners came into class with a shaved-head, I thought little of it and asked him where he had been.

'Father dead, teacher.'

I didn't, but should have known, that shaving one's head is a sign of mourning in Cambodian culture. And of course with my non-existent Khmer language skills and the students' improving but far from fluent English skills no one gave me the heads-up.

Some research showed me that the boy's father was a famous journalist; intrepid, honest, highly skilled and a  fine teacher of journalism, too. He was the press boss for the Khmer Rouge Trials Tribunal as well- a big, big deal in this country.

Sadly my student and his family won't have all the support they need; both the man's parents were killed by the Pol Pot regime.

1 comment:

  1. It really DOES make you appreciate what you have, doesn't it! Such sadness, for someone so young.

    ReplyDelete